So ….first, the disclaimer.
Marijuana is a misdemeanor in Delaware unless it is prescribed by a medical professional. A friend of mine suffers from chronic pain from an accident 30 years ago and up until last year was taking Oxy for pain. A LOT of Oxy…
It was suggested that she try to use medical marijuana instead and she is using less than 25 percent of her original painkiller dosage.
However smoking is still not her thing and all the baked goods she could get were loaded with sugar so she asked me to try my hand at gluten and sugar free edible baking.
Me: I’m a professional chef, this will be easy…
So it is with the greatest humility that I bow to all the cannabis cooks out there. It is mostly science and math with very little chef skill. The hardest part for me was getting the edible dosage right having virtually no experience with how marijuana affects you.
So I went to C-dawg, an expert. You can listen to our podcast about edibles here:
Oh and by the way if you are at all interested in this you REALLY should listen first before trying anything below. He was a veritable pharmacopeia of edible information.
HOW TO MAKE CANNA BUTTER
I followed the instructions exactly. You absolutely need to weigh and measure EVERYTHING. Follow recipe EXACTLY.
***when decarbing the bud, make sure you use tinfoil to cover it or your house will smell like a skunk attack.
SUGAR FREE GLUTEN FREE CANNA BROWNIES
This recipe is based off a recipe I found on this website. She is the bomb. Most of you know how much I hate to bake, but what I really don’t like is the fact I end up eating it afterward. I actually made myself a batch of these without the canna butter and they were DELISH.
Weigh carefully. If you want to cut down the strength use 30 g canna butter and 110 g regular butter.
***later note: if you are not a regular imbiber, CUT BACK the strength. I implore you.
- 65 g unsalted grass-fed butter
- 65 g canna butter
- 140 g monk fruit powder
- 80 g unsweetened water processed organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs at room temp
- 70 g almond flour
- TO GARNISH : Flakey sea salt optional
- Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and preheat to 340°F. Line with parchment paper the bottom and sides of an 8x8-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Add butter, sweetener, cocoa powder and salt to a medium heatproof bowl. Melt over a water bath whisking constantly until sweetener and butter are melted. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add one egg at a time, whisking well after each one until completely incorporated. The texture should appear smooth.
- Add the almond flour, whisking vigorously until fully blended (about a minute).
- Bake for 14 minutes until the center is just set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out moist. Make sure not to overcook.
- Sprinkle with flakey sea salt (optional) and allow to cool completely on a rack. Lift brownies using the edges of the parchment paper and cut into 32 pieces – at least.
GLUTEN FREE SUGAR FREE POT GRANOLA BALLS
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups mixed dried fruits
1 cup almond or peanut butter
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 TB vanilla
½ cup monk fruit sweetener
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
10 ml canna coconut oil tincture
4 TB coconut oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put oats on dry baking sheet. Spread evenly. Bake 20 minutes being careful not to burn. Heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add pumpkin seeds and spices and stir until browning and fragrant. Add monk fruit sweetener and allow to melt.
Pulse dried fruits in food processor until thick pasty bits, add sunflower seeds, oats, vanilla and peanut butter. Add coconut oil tincture and carefully mix to evenly distribute. Pulse until evenly mixed.
Form into 1 ounce balls. Freeze. Makes approximately 40. I would start with a ¼ ounce as a trial and see how it affects you. A regular user said the whole ball was still too much for one sitting.
By far and away the easiest and MOST TEDIOUS recipe ever. I will never be a candy maker.
1 3 ounce package Jell-O
6 ¼ ounce packages (1.5 ounces total) unsweetened gelatin
½ cup cold water minus 1 TB
10 ml coconut oil tincture
Mix water and Jell-O and gelatin in saucepan. Heat over medium heat stirring constantly until dissolved. Add coconut oil tincture and stir thoroughly.
Spray gummy molds with nonstick spray. Use dropper to fill molds. Refrigerate for several hours until set. Freeze till usage.
I tried to make these edibles VERY mild. Especially after the canna brownie fiasco.